Using image and video content to create brand awareness on social media platforms has become the mainstream of social media marketing.
Getting the right image with the right dimension and size is key to creating a memorable blog, post, or compelling ad.
Think of your images on social media pages as building legos. Only shapes with corresponding dimensions would fit.
It’s all about matching objects!
It’s that simple if you know what to do.
I will show you how to match images to their respective spaces where they sit on the following social media platforms:
- Google My Business
Facebook Image Sizes
Since Facebook constantly updates its design and dimension, the only trick to apply is to always upload high-resolution images and use the recommended file formats for the best results.
- Facebook profile picture size: 180 x 180
- Facebook cover photo size: 820 x 312
- Facebook link image size: 1200 x 630
- Facebook image post size: 1200 x 630
- Facebook event image size: 1920 x 1005
- Facebook group cover image size: 1640 x 856
- Facebook video size: 1280 x 720
- Maximum Facebook video length: 240 minutes
- Facebook image ad size: 1200 x 628
- Facebook video ad size: 1080 x 1350 (ratio 4:5), at least 1080 x 1080, ratios from 16:9 to 9:16 are also supported
- Facebook Story ad size: 1080 x 1920
- Facebook messenger image ad size: 1200 x 628
- Facebook Reels – 1080×1350 (ration 4:5)
Instagram Image Sizes
Instagram supports all dimensions of an image be it horizontal, vertical, or square-shaped, providing you with several image options for your brand. But this can make selecting an image dimension a bit tricky. The following guidelines will ensure a posh display of your images:
- Instagram profile picture size: 110×110
- Instagram photo sizes: 1080 x 1080 (square), 1080 x 566 (landscape), 1080 x 1350 (portrait)
- Instagram Stories size: 1080 x 1920
- Recommended Instagram video sizes: 1080 x 1080 (square) 1080 x 566 (landscape), 1080 x 1350 (portrait)
- Carousel posts & ads: 1080 x 1080 (square) recommended, 1080 x 566 (landscape) and 1080 x 1350 (portrait) are also supported, can be video or static image
- Instagram photo thumbnails: 161 x 161
- Instagram ads size: 1080 x 566 (landscape), 1080 x 1080 (square)
- Instagram IGTV video size: 1080 x 1920
- IGTV Cover Photo Size: 420 x 654
- Instagram Reels and Live: 1080 x 1920
Twitter Image Sizes
Getting your images right on Twitter is crucial because Tweets with images get more likes, retweets, and clicks than non-image Tweets. Use the below specifications to improve your visual content on Twitter:
- Twitter profile picture size: 400 x 400
- Twitter header size: 1500 x 500
- Twitter post image size: 1200 x 675
- Minimum Twitter card image size: 120 x 120
- Twitter video size: 720 x 720 pixels (square), 1280 x 720 pixels (landscape), 720 x 1280 pixels (portrait)
- Maximum Twitter video length: 140 seconds
- Twitter image size for ads: 800 x 418 (Website card), 800 x 800 (App card image), 800 x 800 (Carousels), 800 x 418 (Direct Message card), 800 x 418 (Conversation card)
- Twitter ad size (video): 720 x 720 (square), 1280 x 720 (landscape), 720 x 1280 (portrait) Length: 12 seconds or less (recommended), 2 minutes and 20 seconds (maximum)
Google My Business Image Sizes
Images on Google My Business are categorized into three types: logo, cover photo, and business photo. The following specs are recommended by Google for these three image types:
- Recommended resolution: 720 x 720 pixels
- Minimum resolution:250 x 250 pixels
- File size maximum: 5 MB
- Format: JPG or PNG.
YouTube Image Sizes
For your visual content to succeed on YouTube, it must meet the set video requirements. This is important and so is uploading the right size of your profile picture and channel cover. Your channel landing page would be dull and unattractive without your best pictures.
- Channel cover photo: 2560 x 1440 pixels
- Channel icon: 800 x 800 pixels
- Video uploads: 16:9 ratio
- With the fixed ratio, you can upload your video in various resolutions such as;
- 4K – 3840 x 2160 pixels
- 2K –2560 x 1440 pixels
- 1080p (HD) – 1920 x 1080 pixels
- 720p (HD) – 1280 x 720 pixels
- 480p –854 x 480 pixels
- 360p –640 x 360 pixels
- 240p –426 x 240 pixels
- 144p –256 x 144 pixels
Snapchat Image Sizes
There are over 238 million active users on Snapchat. The chances of gaining large followers and building a strong fan base are limitless with high-quality pictures that meet the requirements.
- Shared images: 1080 x 1920
- Geofilters: 1080 x 1920
- Stories: 1080 x 1920; max file size 34 MB; duration: 10 seconds or less
TikTok Image Sizes
TikTok is the hottest video-sharing app in the world of social media. Even brands have joined the trending app to reach new audiences. Here is what you need to know when it comes to the recommended visual dimensions on TikTok.
- TikTok Video: 1080 x 1920, maximum 3min.
- TikTok Profile photo: 200 x 200
- TikTok in-feed ad video aspect ratio: 9:16, 1:1, or 16:9.
LinkedIn Image Sizes
Using images on your Linkedin posts increases your likes, comments, and shares. Follow the recommended image sizes below for the best results:
For Company pages:
- LinkedIn company logo size: 300 x 300
- LinkedIn cover photo size: 1128 x 191
- LinkedIn Sponsored Content image size: 1200 x 627
- LinkedIn Business Banner image: 646 x 220
- LinkedIn image sizes for blog post link images: 1200 x 627
For Personal pages:
- LinkedIn profile picture size: 400 x 400
- LinkedIn background photo size: 1584 x 396
- LinkedIn post image size: 1200 x 1200 (square) 1080 x 1350 (portrait)
- LinkedIn link post size: 1200 x 627
- LinkedIn video size: 256 x 144 (minimum) to 4096 x 2304 (maximum)
- Maximum LinkedIn video length: 10 minutes
Pinterest Image Sizes
Over 400 million people use Pinterest. This is where some of the world’s best images are displayed. Pinterest may be used to discover trends, or for inspiration. It is the universe of amazing vertical images.
- Pinterest Profile picture: 165 x 165
- Pinterest Board Display image: 222 x 150
- Pinterest Standard Pin size: Vertical images 1000 x 1500
- Pinterest Video specs: square (1:1) or vertical (2:3, 9:16) Length: Maximum 30 minutes
- Pinterest Promoted carousels: image aspect ratio: 1:1 or 2:3, 1000×1000 or 1000×1500
- Pinterest Story Pins image size: 1080 x 1920
Tumblr Image Sizes
Tumblr allows users to share anything they want. Make sure you choose an image that matches your page layout and increase your reach by optimizing your images on the mentioned Tumblr banner.
- Profile photo size: 128 x 128 pixels
- Image post: 500 x 750 pixels
- JPG, GIF, PNG, or BMP image is recommended
- Image can’t exceed 10MB
- Animated GIFs must be under 1 MB and max at 500 pixels
Think of the above specifications as cheats to help you build your Lego with images on the most popular social media platforms. Using them will ensure that your images are well displayed, without resolution issues or the need for cropping.